The most popular tablet in the world, as of January 2012, remains the Apple iPad. However, people seem to have forgotten about those things that preceded the almighty tablet. They look like one, but have been designed for reading only, the classic device that gives you the impression of reading a real book, with black and white pages and no adds, apps and videos to distract you. Yes, it is the eBook reader, that useful gadget that basically replaced the book. Be that as it may, most eBook readers have a wider pallet of purposes: one can listen to music or even play a game, when taking a break from reading.
Amazon’s Kindle family has been widely appreciated on the market, for its fast moving members, their design and of course, the variety of supported file formats. The Kindle store has, for your entertainment, a long list of active content and games, recently updated, available for the E Ink devices – as numerous people love their classic eBook readers and won’t give them up for a shiny tablet. And to support that decision, here’s a list of games, many of them free, to go with your dear Kindle 4, Touch or even some of the older ones.
- BATTLESHIP (The Original Naval Combat Game on Kindle): released in December by Electronic Arts, the classic Battleship for Kindle costs $4.99 and already has four and a half stars. The game has a solo mode, a two-player mode to enjoy with a friend and two new game modes: Salvo and Super-weapons. It’s a great addition for Kindle and Battleship lovers.
- BLACKJACK: the popular game has been recently updated to be compatible with Kindle Touch and Kindle 4 and is a fun, free content to spend time when tired of reading.
- POKER SQUARES: released a couple of weeks ago, Poker Squares is a combination between Poker and Solitaire: playing multiple Poker hands in a 5 by 5 grid.
- BRICK ARCADE: another newbie that works with any type of Kindle, Brick Arcade is played by guiding a paddle along the bottom of the screen to bounce a ball and destroy patterns of bricks.
- LINGO: the popular word game is now available for your Kindle. It has over 250 word games and one and 2 player modes and resembles a lot the TV show game.
- HAMSTER HABITAT: the new free puzzle game is free and has been recently added to the Kindle store. You have to create a hamster cage with tubes, while avoiding obstacles.
- CASTLE DUNGEON: if you like adventure, you’ll love this one. Navigate through the 20 floor dungeon to meet the dragon and fight it, while going through several different adventures, bumping into monsters and finding treasures.
- GEM FALLS: the game was released a couple of weeks ago and resembles Tetris, only you have to place the falling gems in the right column to make them explode.
When searching for a game, hover the mouse over “Available on these devices” to check if your eBook reader is compatible; from there on, just have fun!